Monday, March 1, 2010

18 Days to Go

It's March 1, with just 18 days to go before I turn 45. Between now and then, the word of the day -- every day -- is "cardio."

Weight training is important for weight loss. Muscle burns calories -- the more muscle, the more calories burned. So long as I don't increase my caloric intake, weight training works.

But for me, cardio exercise works even better. In addition to the 40-minute workout -- 20 on the treadmill, 20 on the recumbent bike -- the body continues to burn calories for up to an hour after the workout. Other than drinking water, I don't eat for 60 minutes after my cardio workout, so I allow my metabolism to continue doing its wonderful work.

I'm just shy of being halfway to my goal -- 15 pounds gone, 15 to go. Will I lose 15 in 18 days? I certainly hope not. But the good news is I have plenty of cardio opportunities ahead of me. In addition to my regular workout, I'll be able to play with the girls travel soccer team I coach, with the indoor team on Wednesday nights, and with my Saturday night outdoor team, which starts this month.

So for me, March is "Cardio Month." So on the 18th, I'll be able to report that, if I'm not at 185 pounds, I'll be awfully close!

1 comment: