Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Indoor Soccer

After a layoff of a couple of years, I've decided to start playing indoor soccer again, at the Dulles SportsPlex. I thought I was joining an over-40 co-ed league, but it turns out it's co-ed OPEN -- which means far too many players on the opposing team are quicker, faster and stronger than me.

So what.

Talk about a cardio workout! My philosophy is: get on the field, work hard on and off the ball until breath comes in gagged gasps, then get off. That's a bout a four-minute spell. My brother Dan, who played professionally for two years in the Continental Indoor Soccer League -- remember the Washington Warthogs?! -- says a typical "shift" in the CISL was two minutes. I'm not a hockey guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to the NHL.

With all of the accelerating, cutting, back peddling, passing, shooting and defending in indoor soccer, it's not surprising that the workout is intense. I get annoyed when my teammates -- other than Dan, I don't know any of their names yet -- don't work hard, but stay on the field for 8 minutes at a time. I have no time for that (pun intended). Get on, work hard, get off, rest, then do it again. Otherwise, stay home!

So on game days -- Wednesday nights -- I don't do any lifting or running. I needed it all for "the match." By the time I get home, soaked t-shirt and all, the hot shower feels good. Of course, Mrs. Doc always examines me with a keen eye, looking for an injury. So far, so good!

2 comments:

  1. Age and guile will defeat youth and speed any day. So trip the young whippersnappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can catch them, I will do just that!

    ReplyDelete